Sunday 29 January 2012

Facebook


Facebook and I have a love hate relationship. I am aware of its vices yet I still find myself on there at least once a day. With a negative eye I see Facebook as a tool of vanity to illustrate how interesting your life is to your peers. To see your friends doing things together makes you jealous, you feel left out, and often it leads to a desire to do something to prove to them (maybe more so to yourself) that you are socially active. But then what of those who don’t use Facebook, or those who have only a few friends and a couple of pictures? Surely anyone could construct an exciting Facebook page by adding hundreds of people who they have met in passing? So what of those who don’t give their time to Facebook, are they simply out there leading too interesting lives to be able to share it? That’s what I hope and I would love in that position myself!

Having left school Facebook has been an amazing way of keeping in touch, but for those who end up posting links to people they know they will be seeing later that day or those who even take pictures of each other explicitly to put on Facebook, it can surely be seen as becoming a tool for showing off and ego boosting?

Given the choice of having the time to update my status and putting up pictures or being swept from one adventure to another, with no time to brag….I know which I would prefer. 



No comments:

Post a Comment